Manley ELOP PRODUCT FEATURES:
The photo-resistor in combination with a fixed resistor simply act as a changing voltage divider to attenuate the signal-- like a smart volume control. A similar principle was found in the older **Teletronix & Urei **LA-2A, LA-3, and LA-4 units which used a slower electro-luminescent panel-light on a conventional LDR encased in a light-tight enclosure. Ours uses modern VACTROL technology (but with a trick!) for exact sample-to-sample tracking and no high frequency loss while digging deep into limiting-- problems commonly associated with older LA-series limiters and other opto-based units.
The first Manley Electro-Optical Limiters were built back at the VTL factory and had green printed circuit boards and black billet chassis and faceplates. These units carried a serial number prefix of MANOPTO###. The oldest Manley Blue faced units in our standard extruded sides chassis with perforated top and bottom covers built prior to 1997 with serial codes MANELOP### were unbalanced I/O only. Serial codes MELOPB### are units with the Manley input and output transformers, although you still can use the transformerless inputs and outputs if you use the 1/4" TRS jacks.
In October 2000 after unit MELOP565 we ditched the superfluous "balance control" and put the handy side chain filter in its place. October 2004 the engraving is changing to reflect this product's official new name: MANLEY ELOP ® (registered trademark).
Manley ELOP TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
- ALL-TUBE audio path 12AU7WA + 6414 per ch.
- Unbalanced 1/4" Inputs And Outputs and...
- Balanced Transformer Coupled XLR Inputs And Outputs
- Hi-current drive <50 Ohm 1/4" & XLR outputs
- Silent conductive plastic INPUT attenuators
- Max. GAIN REDUCTION 22dB
- ATTACK time: 10mS for 6dB GR
- RELEASE: 2.5 Seconds for 6dB GR
- Maximum Input (Bypass through Line Amplifier) +30 dBv (with Limit "IN" the maximum is entirely variable)
- Maximum Output +30 dBv
- Headroom (referenced to +4 dBv) 26 dB
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 70 kHz ±0.5 dB
- BYPASS switches and AUTOMUTE w/warmup delay
- Large ILLUMINATED Sifam VU METERS (older units before serial number MELOPB716 shipped before 6/2003 use: 26V 1.2W FESTOON LAMPS; Manley's Part Number: VAR016B) Order spare bulbs using our parts order form. (newest units after serial number MELOPB716 shipped after 6/2003 use yellow LED lighting)
- Meters switch to read OUTPUT or REDUCTION
- STEREO LINK
- Side-Chain High-Pass Filter 100Hz or 200Hz
- THD & Noise (1kHz @ +4 dBm): .015%
- Noise Floor (Gain set to minimum): -80 dB Wideband
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 126 dB typical
- Maximum gain: 15 dB
- Power consumption: 40 watts
- Operating mains voltage: Units are purpose built for original destination country's mains voltage: 100V, 120V, or 220-240VAC as indicated on the serial number badge. Power transformer must be replaced in order to change mains operating voltage. 120VAC units may NOT be rewired to put the primaries of the power transformer in series for 220-240V operation or a large radiated field of hum will develop. If changing locations/voltages, the power transformer must be replaced with the dedicated one for the voltage at which it will operate.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Dimensions: 19" x 3 1/2" x 10" (occupies 2u)
- Shipping weight: 16 lbs.